Thursday, August 18, 2011

Silver linings of a Hijabi!

Silver Linings for a Muhajjabah [hijab clad lady]

By a Muslimah

 

You know the saying, "In every cloud there's a silver lining." In other words, every bad thing contains within it a small blessing of some kind. This article points out some of the silver linings of being a hijab-wearing Muslim woman in the West.

I was on my way to the grocery store  when I came to a busy intersection. Many cars were wanting to turn onto the street that I was crossing. I paused to let a car go because I figured "Maybe he/she is in a hurry; I can wait an extra second or two." But then we ended up doing that little hand-wavy dance:

"No, go ahead."
"No, you go ahead."
"No, no, you go ahead!"

You know what I mean.

So finally I went ahead, and as I was stepping out of the crosswalk onto the curb, the person in the car leaned out the window. I noticed he was a young middle eastern man with a cellular phone. He said to me (over the traffic noise) "Because you are a Muslim!"

Well, that got me thinking. About the pros and cons - and the silver linings - of being a muhajjibah, and of being recognized as a Muslim. I decided to share some of them with you all.


CON: Sometimes people assume that I am a religious person, so they try to get me to feel sorry for them so I'll give them money.

SILVER LINING: Extra opportunity for barakaat,sadaqat and da'wah.

 

CON: Strange men yelling "Terrorist!" or "Go to Saudi B*******!" as they drive by in their pickups.

SILVER LINING: Barakaat and reward for the trials those fools put me though. *sob* *sob*

 

CON: It's very hard for me to blend in at some places, like the fete's,shopping mall's, parks etc people look at me like I don't belong there, and I feel awkward.

SILVER LINING: I don't dare enter a bar or nightclub.

 

CON: I can't show off my hair.

SILVER LINING: When it rains, I don't get "the frizzies."

 

CON: Sometimes I am mistaken for a nun.

SILVER LINING: I get to hear non Muslims refer to me as "sister."

 

CON: Little kids stare at me rather rudely.

SILVER LINING: I get to startle them by smiling and waving. Then I get to see them smile and wave back, too.

 

CON: People don't bother to invite me to their parties.

SILVER LINING: I don't have to go to people's parties and therefore saved from so much evil associated with parties!

 

CON: Sometimes people see me and look away like they are sorry they saw me.

SILVER LINING: Once in a while, I'll meet a Muslim who maybe isn't practicing, but is very happy to see me and will say to me, "It makes my heart feel good to meet a good Muslim." (Not that wearing hijab necessarily makes me such a good Muslim, but it's the thought that counts!)

 

CON: I need to spend on buying hijabs.

SILVER LINING: I get the opportunity of spending for a noble cause.

 

CON: It sometimes get HOT under the hijaab

SILVER LINING: Then I am reminded to stay away from sin as the FIRE of Jahannam[Hotter].

 

CON: I sometimes get feeling that I am "losing out"

SILVER LINING: Then I get a chance to make zikr as I remember the verses of the Quran- Whosoever works righteousness, whether male or female, while he (or she) is a true believer, We will give a good life. ) (An-Nahl 16: 97) (And whoever does righteous good deeds, being a male or a female, and is a true believer, such will enter Paradise. ) (An-Nisa 4: 124) (Verily, the Muslims, men and women, the believers, men and women... Allah has prepared for them forgiveness and a great reward. ) (Al-Ahzab 33: 35)

Sisters! As regards Hijab its the Commandment of our Lord Allah Ta'ala! In reality there are ONLY SILVER LININGS! 

ALLAH will NEVER disappoint you- Act today as we never know if we'll have a tomorrow to fulfil this Command of our ALLAH!