Tuesday, October 5, 2010

CHILDHOOD CANCER

CHILDHOOD CANCER &
 
AN EXTREMELY TOUCHING MOTIVATIONAL STORY
 
 
 

 

Thousands of children under the age of 15 are diagnosed with cancer each year. If detected early, more than 75% of childhood cancer cases can be treated successfully. Childhood cancers share general symptoms with other illnesses, but if one or more of the following symptoms persist, a doctor should be consulted without delay.

 

 

C ontinued unexplained weight loss
H eadaches, often with vomiting, at night or early morning
I ncreased swelling or persistent pain in bones, joints or back
L ump or mass in the abdomen, neck, chest, pelvis or arms
D evelopment of excessive bruising, bleeding or rash

 

C onstant infections
A whitish colour behind the pupil
N ausea that persists or vomiting without nausea
C onstant tiredness or noticeable paleness
E ye or vision changes that occur suddenly and persist
R ecurrent fevers of unknown origin

 

If any of above symptoms becomes apparent seek professional advice urgently.

 

Try an always expose ourselves and especially our kids to the healthy and sunnah way of life. The best and most effective weapon against cancer is knowledge. If you consider that one-in-four individuals may be affected by the disease during their lifetime, you will realise how powerful knowledge is in terms of risk reduction, prevention and early detection. Junk and processed foods should be avoided. Include a healthy diet and promote a lifestyle that includes regular exercise, not smoking, staying safe in the sun, doing self-examinations and undergoing regular medical checkups.

 

Most of all make dua(pray) that Allah always keeps us healthy as well as those that are near and dear to us…..Ameen

 

"Surely Allah is with the patient" (Quran 7:46)

 

 

Motivational Story (A truly worthwhile read)

 

Sympathy and self-sacrifice

Allah, the Exalted, says: "... and do good that you may be successful". (22:77).

Relaxing in the lounge Saturday after Fajr salaah my wife called, 'How long will you be with that newspaper? Will you come here and make your darling son eat his food?'.

I tossed the paper away and rushed to the scene. My only son Faizaan looked frightened. Tears were welling up in his eyes. In front of him was a bowl filled to its brim with cereal containing the much needed vitamins needed by Faizaan after his month long illness. Faizaan was a pleasant child, quite intelligent for his age. He has just turned nine. He particularly detested the vitamin fortified cereal. My mother and my wife are traditional and believe firmly in the benefits of the age old traditional porridge cereal.

I cleared my throat, and picked up the bowl. 'Faizaan, darling, why don't you take a few mouthful of this cereal? Just for Dad's sake, dear. Faizaan softened a bit, and wiped his tears with the back of his hands. 'OK, Dad. I will eat - not just a few mouthfuls, but the whole lot of this. But, you should…' Faizan hesitated.

'Dad, if I eat this entire Cereal, will you give me whatever I ask for?'…'Oh sure, darling'… 'Promise?'...

'Promise'. I covered the soft hand extended by my son with mine, and clinched the deal.

'Ask Mom also to give a similar promise', my son insisted.

My wife put her hand on Faizaan's, muttering 'Promise'.

Now I became a bit anxious. ' Faizaan dear, you shouldn't insist on getting a computer or any such expensive items.

Dad does not have that kind of money right now. OK?'

'No, Dad. I do not want anything expensive'. Slowly and painfully, he finished eating the whole quantity.

I was silently angry with my wife and my mother for forcing my child to eat. After the ordeal was through, Faizaan came to me with his eyes wide with expectation. All our attention was on him...

'Dad, I want to have my hair on my head shaved off, this Sunday!' was his demand.

'Atrocious!' shouted my wife, 'my child having his head shaved off? Impossible!' This is following the crazy "skin heads" culture capturing the youth in our community! Never,never,never will I allow it!!!

'Never in our family!' my mother rasped.'He has been watching too much of television. Our culture is getting totally spoiled with these TV programs!'

Faizaan darling, why don't you ask for something else? We will be sad seeing you with a clean-shaven head.'

'No, Dad. I do not want anything else', Faizaan said with finality.

'Please, Faizaan, why don't you try to understand our feelings?' I tried to plead with him.

'Dad, you saw how difficult it was for me to eat that cereal'. Faizaan was in tears.

'And you promised to grant me whatever I ask for. Now, you are going back on your words.

Dear beloved father, in our daily sessions of Taalim (Islamic education) was it not you who told me the stories of the Companions of our beloved Prophet Muhammad [peace be upon him] and how they kept to their promises! You did emphasize that we should honour our promises no matter what!

It was time for me to call the shots. 'Our promise must be kept.'

'Are you out your mind?' chorused my mother and wife.

'No. If we go back on our promises, he will never learn to honour his own. Faizaan, your wish will be fulfilled.'

With his head clean-shaven, Faizaan had a round-face, and his eyes looked big and beautiful. On Monday morning, I dropped him at his school. It was a sight to watch my hairless Faizaan walking towards his classroom. He turned around and waved. I waved back with a smile.

Just then, a boy alighted from a car, and shouted, Faizaan, please wait for me!'

What struck me was the hairless head of that boy. 'May be, that is the in-stuff', I thought.

'Sir, your son Faizaan is great indeed!' Without introducing himself, a man got out of the car, and continued,'

That boy who is walking along with your son is my son Yunoos. He is suffering from… leukaemia(cancer).'

He paused to muffle his sobs. Yunoos could not attend the school for the whole of the last month. He lost all his hair due to the side effects of the chemotherapy. He refused to come back to school fearing the unintentional but cruel teasing of the schoolmates. Faizaan visited him last week, and promised him that he will take care of the teasing issue. But, I never imagined he would sacrifice his lovely hair for the sake of my son!

Sir, you and your wife are blessed to have such a noble soul as your son.

I stood transfixed. And then, I wept. 'My little Angel, you are teaching me how self-less real love is!'

Note:The happiest people on this planet are not those who live on their own terms but are those who change their terms for the ones whom they love...

Our beloved Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) sacrificed all his wealth, health and comforts for humanity!

The Messenger of Allah (pbuh) said, " If anyone fulfils his brother's needs, Allah will fulfil his needs; if one relieves a Muslim of his troubles, Allah will relieve his troubles on the Day of Resurrection; and if anyone covers up a Muslim (his sins), Allah will cover him up (his sins) on the Resurrection Day". [Al-Bukhari and Muslim].